Monday, March 14, 2005

Dyeing for oranges...

I actually had a yen to dye yarn somewhere around 11:30 last night. Doesn't this happen to everybody? Believe it or not, I used McCormick food coloring (the kind in the expensive little squeeze bottles that you pay $3.29 for 4 little .25oz bottles? You know the ones....) and since I had no vinegar in the house for mordant, but I *did* have ascorbic acid (vitamin C!) I put some of that in some water, threw some wool/mohair blend (Lana Gatto??? I don't remember) and started drizzling color mixed with a little water that I had put in one of those little medicine cups (the kind that come on top of a bottle of Robitussin, y'know...) and then I threw it into the microwave for about 4 minutes until it boiled. Let it sit until it was cool, then rinsed it out. Very scientific. It's gorgeous. I couldn't make this happen again if I worked day and night at it.

Orange you glad...?

3 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Anonymous marianne said...

hi! thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! nice to meet you, too!

the orange yarn is stunning! I've done some koolaid dyeing but want to try the icing colors, which I hear are wayyyyy more vibrant than koolaid.

I like your blog and have bookmarked it. I see a meme that I think I need to steal. ;)

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger winnie said...

Oohh.. nice and bright. What are you going to do with it?

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger La said...

Hey chica, just letting you know, interview questions are up at JenLa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home