Saturday, April 23, 2005

Saturday Stuff

I will be posting this post on my new HPPavilion assuming I can get it out of dh's hands (note that it is his lap on which it currently rests...the wallpaper he took from one of my stash photos. Clever guy.) In all fairness, I have to say that he is making this machine do things I didn't know a computer could do...or that I even wanted it to do! We have security cameras around the property (we live in the woods, but our company designs and installs security, and we have info that needs protecting. Plus, it's really cool to spy on the kids when they're playing basketball) and I can now view all of the cameras from here. My laptop can access files in every other computer in the house, print on the printer in the office, play music, dust and do dishes (wishful thinking)...stuff I'd never think of having it do, but will probably wonder how I did without before long.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In other news, here's the first swatch of yarn dyed with my new Gaywool dyes. They're bright, easy to use, but drop even one tiny crystal and there's color everywhere! Today I dyed a skein of Knitpick's Color Your Own sock yarn in some very interesting colors. I'd love to say that it was a smashing success, but I've still got a lot to learn. Photos will be posted soon. I hope.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So here's what we woke up to. You can't actually see it because light snow doesn't photograph well when it's in the air, but indeed, it is snowing. And cold. There's a fire in the woodstove and the daffodils, which are just budding, are in danger of freezing. Boo. Hiss. Michigan in April. This is normal.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


And because it's cold again, I am finishing up my lovely blue sweater. All I have left is 8 rows on the sleeves and I can put it together. I have already done a 3-needle bind-off on the shoulders (this was a neat trick too, given that I was using bound-off stitches. I picked up stitches just outside of the bindoff and put them on needles, and...well, it worked.) With any luck it'll stay cold long enough for me to finish and take the requisite headless photo without severe sweating.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


It showed up by UPS yesterday...the Summer Tweed patterns! Royal Yarns had it for less than anyone else, and they shipped it express for not too much money. Here and I'm thinkin' I've got summer knitting to do...hah! Summer will have to wait. There's snow today.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


This is the odds-on favorite for a summer top. There are several other terrific ones and because I have so much yarn (I did get greedy) there is enough to make a skinny tank for Katy. She's thrilled...I'm just glad she likes the color.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


In the meantime, there are numerous baby showers, and this is what I'm doing for my friend Kellie. See, Kellie has 3 boys. And she lost a pregnancy at 5 months that almost killed her (no, really. Put her in a coma for about a week. Very scary.) And by God's grace, she is almost ready to have another baby, this time for sure a girl. Here is my knitting contribution, a raglan sweater and hat (both in process) with a little bit of fun fur, in pink pink pink.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Katy, meanwhile, is on her way to a shower for her friend Christin with this crocheted blankie she finished very late the other night (seen here ready for a bath) and the hat and socks (shown in a previous post.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I have questions awaiting me on Nancy's blog but they'll wait until tomorrow, as this post has gotten quite long and if you're still with me you're probably hoping I'll shut up soon. So I will. Until tomorrow then....

6 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger Lu said...

I just oredered and recieved the KnitPicks yarn as well - I am going to play again with my kids!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Marguerite said...

Nice blog! This is my first time here thanks to your post to MichiganKnit list, but I'll be back.

It's snowing here (SW Michigan, Kalamazoo area) too. And not just a little bit. So far the ground is warm enough that it's melting, but there could be whiteness by morning.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Kristine said...

Thanks dropping by my blog... I'm in South Bend, and we're getting big fluffy flakes, I bet Traverse City is getting all that fun lake effect snow ;P (I went to Michigan for undergrad, and one of my closest friends is from Traverse city- I heard all about winter and spring blizzards)
It sounds like you have so many fun exciting things going on; the new laptop sounds like fun, your daughter is getting married (congrats) and your son is doing great things as well...
Also, stash enhancement amnesia, while glamourous sounding, is no joke (ok, yes it is)- the yarn is still around, but seems to lose labels, so I am unable to determine important details about the fiber. That said, you could definetly use the word in a happier way ;)

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger The Fearless Knitter said...

Hey chickie - just saw your comment on my blog and am regretting it! I used my Alpaca Brush and I'm not thrilled with how it came out. A super soft baby blanket but - the colors are not very baby like. I'd frog but I made it in stripes and its pretty much un-froggable now! Grrr...getting some more though this week - can't resist! Ahhh...a new Rowan summer book? Can't wait to see your own hand dyed sock yarn - isnt that fun?! TTYS

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

Hi! I feel your bad weather pain! I wasn't pleased to wake up to snow this morning (I posted a picture of my backyard this morning on my blog, Knit Butterflies, if you're curious :)

I like your blog! I always like to see knitters from Michigan - looks like I could learn a lot from you!! :)

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous jess said...

i love your dyed yarns, this one and the blue / purple one! where did you get your dyes? i'm trying to make the transition from kool-aid to real dyeing, and am looking for good sources...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home