Sunday, May 08, 2005

"Finish what you start.. Say it with me: 'Finish what you start...'"

I am rapidly approaching SABLE. I never thought this could happen to me. After all, I.am.a.finisher. Really. Honestly. I have the pictures to prove it.

So why is it getting harder and harder for me to finish things? All I seem to want to do is cast on for new projects acquire new yarn.

Potential answers. Pick any two or more:

  1. I have had access to more disposable income recently, ergo, more yarn purchases.
  2. Yarn is coming into the house faster than I can humanly knit.
  3. I have moved up the scale of yarnlust from simple wool for felting to silks and cashmeres.
  4. My earlier projects were smaller and more easily finished. Recent projects require seaming or worse.
  5. I am constantly in eye contact with this stash of yarn and the pattern books beside it. Familiarity breeds contempt (or boredom.) (or the need for more...)
  6. I'm reading too many blogs wherein people have started/finished projects that cause me to lust in my heart.
  7. I'm lazy. I have so much to do that I never seem to have time to finish anything. (Blatant lie. Forgive me, Lord.)
  8. I'm ADHD. I'm easily bored.
  9. I'm running out of excuses.........
So, do you want to see my latest acquisitions? (Oooooh! Shiny thing!) I suspect hope am planning that some of these things may will find themselves migrating into my SP5's stash...

Purchased at Threadbear in Lansing. Lorna's Laces sock yarn in Nick's HS colors for School Spirit Day, Opal in a fabu colorway, some shiny things to go in the fringe of the shawl I'm making for the lady who's doing the music for Katy's wedding, and some Koigu, KPPPM, in a colorway I already owned, different dyelot, therefore different color...how is it I keep picking the same color? It's a sickness, I tell ya. (See? I didn't spend a thousand dollars, although there were people there who were encouraging me to.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On the way home we took a different route, driving up 131. We found ourselves in Grand Rapids (well, Wyoming, technically...) at Threadbenders. Wonderful store. I bought some more KPPPM and some incredible mill-end rayon...$4.50 for 420 yards.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yeah, you read that right....here's a closeup:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's a little bit of what was waiting for me when I got home...Knitpicks' Dye-it-yourself worsted weight and two colors of their new cotton-blend sock yarn.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And from Elann, 20 skeins of Austermann's Peru...an alpaca blend, and, yes...more sock yarn.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I realize that I have been obsessive in my purchasing recently (though this is coming to a quick halt with the advent of a (now necessary) budget since dh is on a salary.) However, there is a LOT more yarn that could find its way into my stash.
Here at the end of this post, I want to leave you with some perspective. This is ONE RACK of yarn at Threadbear. One. Rack. There are about thirty more in the store.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So the problem isn't actually too much yarn. It's just that the time I spend acquiring yarn, fondling yarn, blogging about yarn, is time that could be spent knitting it up. There. That's the real issue.

Do not say I have too much yarn. I do not believe there is such a thing.

7 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger Steph said...

Oh come on! SABLE is the best way to be! :) I've been there for almost a year...

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous marianne said...

*ogles the yarn*

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger elephont said...

i think you need to get out more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
just finish it

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger ~~ Melissa said...

Ok, you do not have too much yarn. That was easy to say. ;)

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Colleen said...

There IS no such thing as too much yarn. Never. No how, no way.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Birdsong said...

I really love the great rayon find! What are you going to make with it? As far as finishing goes, there is so much to tempt us to start something new, it's hard NOT to get bogged down. I have picked up speed over the years and that has certainly helped.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger mims said...

so a reporter (and knitter) at the paper i work for was interviewing the yarn harlot for an article. the reporter has recently gotten her sister into knitting. the sister called the reporter and told her that she currently had 18 balls of yarn in her house and asked if that was too much. the repoter related this story to the yarn harlot, who made a slight pause before replying, "well, isn't that cute."
i am of the opinion that there is no such thing as too much yarn in the house! (which i am sure the reporter's sister will come to know in time.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home