Monday, May 30, 2005

Fun with felt ~or~ Pammi knits too fast for me...

My sister Pam came to Michigan with the express intent of learning to knit. She had been contemplating this for quite some time. So when it came to teaching her the ways of the sticks, it was so easy I'm still not sure that she hadn't already been knitting for years.

After a brief stint with a pair of 10.5 straights and some leftover merino, we decided to attack our first project: a felted Keyhole Bag. I worked this pattern right along with Pam so that I could teach her each technique casting on, increases, decreases, binding off, etc.) as it came along.

Suffice it to say that I have never had to knit so fast. She positively flew through the pattern.

Here's Pam, hard at work binding off in preparation for weaving in the ends:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

And here she is enjoying an alternative use for the project.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The bag, prefelting. Dimensions: 12" across, 8" to buttonhole opening. Followed the above directions (less than) to the letter. Used Lamb's Pride Bulky single strand (she was having too much trouble carrying both bulky strands) in purple, Cascade 220 doubled in pink, Lamb's Pride Worsted in blue. Size 15 Addis.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fresh from felting. In need of a shave... Dimnensions: 9.5" by 5".
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My prefelted offering. All Lamb's Pride Worsted, doubled.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fresh from the bath. Apparently I bound off much more loosely than Pam as my bag is sort of...baggy at the top. Much tugging did not resolve this, so I will content myself that this is the way it should be. It is unique...just like every other bag.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

In preparation for the next felting project, I offer you...Knitpicks dyeityourself aran weight in Pammi's choice of colors. She will be knitting this into some sort of felted bag. I think it looks (if memory serves) like a Tequila Sunrise. It's eyeblinkingly bright. She loves it and I love her and I am so glad she got to come visit. Her husband, my youngest brother Robin, is home dealing with all three boys and doing a wonderful job of it. (Or he's doing a wonderful job of covering up...either way, Pam is getting to relax and knit. What a guy!)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Shortly we'll be off to canoe down the AuSable River today. I wonder if I can take my knitting?

Have a blessed day!

6 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous heather said...

Aww, those bags look great! Your sister is adorable too. Glad you're having fun.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Atouria said...

Wow! I can't believe how fast your sister caught on. Now you two have something more that you can share together; that's wonderful! The tequila sunrise yarn looks beautiful.

No, you may not bring your knitting with you on the canoe. Paddle woman! :p

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Susanne said...

Nice that you have a sis-in-law that you think of as a sister. me too and aren't we lucky??
Knitting with someone you care about is so much fun...enjoy it and good luck to her ..
No you may not bring your knitting, you have to paddle that damn canoe!!!

 
At 1:35 AM, Blogger Snooze said...

Y'all are correct. I had to paddle after all. There was too stiff a breeze to just float, and when I paddle with Katy it's always exciting. We get to do the limbo undr every overhanging tree branch on the AuSable.

But as stiff and sore as I returned, there was knitting tonight...

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Rox said...

Ah...Pammi ...Welcome to this addiction!!

Now...you must learn to dye yarn....from the Master!!

;)

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Pammi said...

Hi, Snooze
Just wanted to say thanks for the lessons in knitting (thanks God you don't charge by the hour). I am having a great time and will be posting on my blog soon with the finished picture of the scarf

 

Post a Comment

<< Home