Wednesday, May 11, 2005

WTH happened to yesterday's post?

So I had this great post completely done and I punched the 'publish' button and several weird things happened.

First, I have to mention that the last time I had weird Blogger things happen I went looking into changing hosts. Naturally, Blogger straightened right up and worked well. For several weeks.

So I have this great post (and let me assure you that it was great!) (Okay...it was better than average...) and I hit the button to send it. I open my blog in another tab. What awaits me? Well, part of my post was there...in what looked like GERMAN (complete with the umlauts and stuff) but most of it was missing. And half the sidebar was gone too. How on earth did this happen? I think I have some idea about the missing sidebar (which was actually still in my template, so I just hit reload and it appeared,) but the weird language change and missing half of the post?

I wound up deleting the whole thing in disgust. Reflecting on the matter, I probably should have left it up just as a point of interest/curiousity. I'm sure I would have gotten some verryy interesting comments...

A propos of nothing, here's what I was doing at 11:30pm the other night:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is none other than Knitpick's Dye It Yourself worsted weight. Two hundred twenty yards of softness that accept dye like a bank accepts deposits. I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with this yet, but at $2.99USD/hank, I could afford to just admire it! I used the Wilton Food colors with this one. I have lots of colors in the Wilton, and I wanted a rose, which I don't have in the Gaywool dyes.

The beauty shot: in natural light:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here's another thing I dyed the yarn for. The pattern is the Beanie from S'n'B Nation. The yarn is Lamb's Pride Worsted in Natural, dyed with Gaywool dyes. This is for Annie...see, sweetie! I finished it just in time for summer!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm going to go see if I can recover yesterday's post (the one you lost could always have been a Pulitzer Prize winner, right?) which hopefully will not have morphed into Swahili or something else....

Later.

10 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Rox said...

With Blogger I am forced to copy my posts as I am writing them. Annoying but a must for those days when you are your brilliant self - and its lost!

And once again, sigh, you astound me with your yarn dyeing talents. Mine are two colorway sad little things. Yours are works of art. Beautishus stuff girl!

 
At 1:00 PM, Anonymous Heather said...

Sorry you lost your post! Bummer. I've done that before, but It's always my fault.
I'm so envious of your yarn you dyed! It's gorgeous! Did you do that in the microwave?
I need to start playing around with that again.
Great Job!

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Vicki Knitorious said...

Your Pulitzer Prize... I was watching a M*A*S*H rerun last night and Klinger was publishing a newspaper, dreaming of winning a "Wurlitzer Prize." It makes me grin REAL big!

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger margene said...

That yarn is beautiful. I've been thinking of buying some of KnitPicks yarn and trying my hand at dyeing. I guess I'm a little chicken about it.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Snooze said...

Noooooo! Don't be chicken about dyeing! I started by using McCormick's food coloring! I had a skein of some white yarn, and pulled about 20 yards off and had a go at it. (see: Dyeing for Oranges) and some of the results have been horrendous (see: end of April 4 and April 25 posts...) but I don't let it deter me. The more I dye, the better I get.

I'm sure it'll be this way when I finally have a go at spinning, too. It seems a little (okay...a LOT) hard to me now, but many assure me that it's not as tough as it might look. And it gets easier with practice.

My advice: A trip to Walmart for several colors of Wilton food/icing color (under $1.50 each) and to your lys for a skein of white/natural Cascade 220 or Paton's Wool (or, if you're patient enough, order it from Knitpicks...cheaper.) Pull off about 20-25 yards and tie it in a loose skein (about 18"-24" in diameter...I can't figure length...sorry.) In a disposable/microwaveable container, mix a little color with a coupla tbsps white vinegar and as much hot water as you want. (The color of the yarn depends on the amount of dye you use, not its dilution.)

When I dyed this skein, I had 4 containers with different colors. Put them in the microwave. Drape the yarn over the bowls...push as much as you want into each color. (Please use plastic gloves for this...or you'll tiedye your hands.) cover the whole mess with a length of saran. Microwave for 2 minutes on high. Let it sit for about 3 or 4 minutes. Do it again. Check to see if the yarn is the color you want (in many cases, the water will now be almost clear.)

Bring it to the sink and let it cool for a while. Or, if you're impatient like me, use very hot water to rinse, decreasing the temperature gradually.

Finally, use a little Eucalan to wash. I just kinda skoosh it around. Rinse until clear. Roll up in paper towels to get the excess water out (there should be NO color transfer to the paper towels. If there is, go back and rinse it again.)

Hang it some place to dry. It's a good idea to have something underneath (newspaper is good) in the event of any drips.

Ball up and swatch.

Try this again and again until you're confident enough to use a whole skein!

There ya go. My very scientific method. I expect to see the results on your blogs very soon, y'all.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Annie said...

I love that knitpicks yarn. A friend dyed some for me, and it is heaven to knit with. Also, Sydney has a great link on her site today for rainbow dyeing.
http://tigersinredweather.modblog.com/

 
At 8:24 PM, Anonymous Laura said...

How cool! I'm too scared to try to dye my own yarn. You're very brave Susie. And it turned out SO beautiful. What are you going to use it for?

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Snooze said...

I'm givin' it away, Laura. I'm givin' it away!

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous marianne said...

yummmmy yarn candy!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Atouria said...

Snooze, that yarn looks great! I absolutely love the colors you selected. I'm so sorry to hear about your blog problems. i have to do the cut and paste method,too.. just in case. ;)

/hugs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home