Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Shawl we dance...?

So it was like 2:15am when I got finished (please do not ask what I was doing awake at that time. Neither shall we speak of the fact that Katy was there as well...) but finished I am. Ta da. I was at a Boy Scouts Committee meeting when I bound this baby off. Came home. Got a little dinner. Chatted for a bit. Congratulated myself on completing the shawl sooner than the day of the wedding (my usual M.O.) Realized that I had to fringe the danged thing...fringeing that would mean hours of bending awkwardly over the bed and pulling many pieces of assorted yarns through small holes. Yep. I sure love to fringe.

But I absolutely love the way a heavy fringe swings around. And this shawl is long...longer than mine, and I had more fringe-y stuff to use...so I got started around 11:30pm. Cut the yarn into appropriate lengths. Here's the setup...


No sooner had I begun the task when my able assistant showed up to lighten the work lay on the work so as to make things much easier for me. Thanks, Riley. There'll be a little extra in your food bowl on Friday...


And in the end (around 2:25am) out lovely spokes/shawl model gives us the picture on the finishedness.


Someone woke me up at 5:15am with a totally unwarranted phone call. Unable to sleep, I made coffee and took the shawl out to be photographed in natural light (and a soft drizzle. Great. God's doing my blocking now...thanks, Lord!) However, I wish this had turned out better. Even the outside light shot cannot convey the sparkle and fringe-ishness.


Shawl ala deck. The beauty shot.


And as if finishing the shawl wasn't enough, in beween knotting fringe I decided to show this silky combed top alpaca who's boss...and spun a whole bunch (I'm learning...)

I'll leave you with a picture of my favorite potted posies. I had quite a time trying to figure out what would work together from the motley assortment I purchased. I didn't want the traditional geraniums with spikes type of stuff. So here's something a little different...

Cosmos and wax begonias. I could start a trend, no?

Thanks for suffering through all this shawl strutting. There are so many accomplished knitters who casually pose their incredible gossamer lace works of art and pass them off as a little something they worked on while the kids took their piano lessons. Maybe so. For me, this shawl really is just a newbie thing; perhaps it'll be the gateway to greater, lacier things for me down the road. Thanks for letting me show off. I just love y'all!

6 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous heather said...

bee-yoo-ti-ful! Love the shawl! The cat stretched over your work is priceless. Hilarious. That usually happens here when I'm trying to fold laundry. Yucky cat hair all over everything! (not anymore, hee hee.)
You did a great job on the shawl. And what in the world were you two doing up at 2 in the a.m.? Crazy.

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Atouria said...

Snooze, that shawl is gorgeous! The fringe may have been a PITA, but your hard work paid off. I LOVE IT!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Snooze said...

Thank you ladies!

Riley is soft. The shawl is soft. He assumes they belong together. He actually assumes this about *anything* soft. Orange hair shows on absolutely anything I wear. But he's sweet and we own a lint brush, so it works out, mostly.

2am. Well, it's like this. We both have fibromyalgia, and one of the probs w/fibro is a sleep disorder. We're seldom in bed before 1:45am, often later, and generally sleep until 8 or 9am...if we're lucky. Sometimes Benadryl helps. It's nice though, in that we get lots of time together and we don't have to be working (can't run the vacuum at that time...the guys are sleeping!) so we watch HGTV and knit and talk. I will miss her so much. Any volunteers to stay up with me and chat? (We could do it online...)

Hugs,
Susie

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Laura said...

wow that's really beuatiful. Good for you! I'm about to start my first lace project, branching out. Then I'm going to do a lace shawl next. I hope that mine looks as good as yours. You may have said this already but what yarn did you use for it?
Have a good one my friend! HUGS!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Becky in Iowa :O) said...

Gorgeous shawl. I bet it is even more lovely in person. Love the cat too. He looks like a beast. hehehe

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Snooze said...

Lana Gatto wool for the Branching Out. I found it on the sale shelf at Yarn Quest and bought several in different colors with no idea what to use them for (but sooooo soft!) And there it was, saving me from making the scarf in pink. Whew!

I will take pictures of The Lady Who's Doing The Music For Katy's Wedding wearing the shawl after I give it to her. I hope she likes it as much as I do. It actually turned out much nicer than my own...

Yeah...Riley's a beast. He's a hide-under-the-bed sort of beastie! lol

Blessings,
Susie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home